MLB Team Popularity (Opinion)
1. Red Sox: On the rise as of years late. Amazing what a couple of World Series victories can do huh?
2. Yankees: Don’t fret Yanks fans: You’re everywhere. Number two on my list.
3. Rays: Yes, a new team and a new fanbase. A new name and uniform didn’t hurt.
4. Dodgers: Amazes me how far east this fanbase reaches. They aren’t in Brooklyn anymore, people.
5. Phillies: They’re everywhere. Even before the World Series victory. This fanbase is expected to grow.
6. Braves: Ah, America’s team no longer. Not since their consecutive division titles slipped away and they no longer play on TBS.
7. Cubs: Their fans show up everywhere. Give them credit: not easy to pull for a team who hasn’t won in over 100 years.
8. Cardinals: Bit of a stretch here, but I’m going for it. They take most of the state and are a lovable team to watch.
9. Giants: These old California teams sure seem to have some following, huh?
10. Tigers: It doesn’t matter where you go, someone is sporting a Tigers hat. That’s enough to put them on my list.
11. Reds: Once again, the hat. I mean when options include the Indians, Pirates and Phils, this is easily the most stylish of them.
12. Pirates: Somehow, they manage to have some backing. I’ve seen tons of Pirates fans. Yet, they never seem to come to the ballpark…..
13. Royals: The Royals are a trendy team. Something about that KC…..
14. Mariners: The state of Washington is enough to put the M’s here on the list. Trendy hat. If you were to include worldwide following, which I’m not, the M’s would probably be the favorite due to Ichiro’s Asian following in other countries.
15. Orioles: They always seem to be everywhere, though sparsely. Most people wearing the “fat bird” hats.
16. Angels: Very hot team. The A looks nice, bright uniforms and a recent trip to the World Series helps their cause.
17. Nationals: Once again, astonishing how many “W” hats I’ve seen. Incredible considering how woeful they’ve been.
18. Padres: Eh…..they’re the fathers. Respect them.
19. Mets: Not a lot of market to share in New York. Also hated by a lot of Cards fans.
20. White Sox: Boy, slim pickin’s here. I’m going to say Chi Sox, though I’m not sure of it.
21. Twins: You have Minnesota on your side. And people from Minnesota who now live in other states.
22. Astros: The most popular team in Texas (notice George W. Bush has nothing to do with this team.)
23. Rangers: What you gonna do? They’re the Rangers. Won a Stanley Cup in ’94. Oh, wait…..
24. Indians: Indians fans are Indians fans. About all of them live in Cleveland.
25. Diamondbacks: They beat the Yankees in the World Series and had Randy Johnson. That’s something.
26. Brewers: Just because I need to take up some space.
27. Rockies: Huge in Colorado, not so much anywhere else.
28. Blue Jays: They have hockey up there, who needs baseball eh?
29. Athletics: Dreadful market, even more dreadful fans. Bad location. New field coming up soon, but I don’t expect that to help.
30. Marlins: Need I say anything? Okay, I will. Two World Series victories within your first ten years of existence. TWO! People, there are teams who haven’t won in YEARS and YEARS, get out there and support your damn Marlins.
Where you can financially support me if you so desire.